Archival footage brought to you by the Walt Disney Imagineers. Hat tip to the Getty Museum for this great web find. I got sucked into watching the whole series just now of time-lapse photography of the building of Disneyland in Southern California, circa the 1950s.
Heard around the Commons:
- Be a Friend with Benefits! the Brooklyn Museum tells how.
- Congrats to Smithsonian Science, Voice of America’s website winner of the week!
- When Good People Love Bad Pictures, some musings on photos and the internet, by Marvin Heiferman of the Smithsonian Photography Initiative
- How to build an 8-foot-tall light bulb out of LEGO bricks, from the SI’s National Museum of American History.
- The Prisoner of Zenda – read all about George Eastman House’s newest nitrate motion-picture acquisition (with great stills, too!).
- The Swedish National Heritage Board weighs in on social media. They also discuss bicycling to work.
- The New York Public Library has some tips for midlife job hunters.
- Read all about the White Gloves Tour in the Granite Belt region at the State Library of Queensland, Australia’s blog.
- Coming Soon: DCPL Discovery Packs for SirsiDynix Libraries, from the D.C. Public Library.
- Scientist Scott A. Braun Discusses “Peering Into the Storm: NASA’s Exploration of Hurricanes” on 16 September, at the Library of Congress.
- The Oregon State University Archives brings you The Legend of Llao Rock. Also, check out the story of Mt. Mazama.
- Put The Source from the National Library of New Zealand on your reading list; it’s news about digital libraries and library innovations from around the web.
- Starting 11 September, the National Library of Wales brings us Ken Elias: A Retrospective – a celebration of 40 years of painting.